What’s the difference between a French and American manicure? The fundamental difference between a French manicure and an American one is to do with the color and in several nail salons the shape of the finished nails might be also somewhat different.
A typical French manicure uses a pink tone clear base all over the nail and then a thick white tip is painted across the ends.
An American manicure has the same look but varies in color using a creamy colored base, similar to a flesh tone, finishing off the tips with a touch of pink or even red in certain circumstances – still keeping it quite natural.
Sometimes the shape of the nail may change, with the American favoring a square shape nail rather than slightly rounded tips.
Again using the same format as the French with a pink clear base to start, you then take the white paint and paint on the tip of the nail an upside down V shape.
In the center of the V is placed a small rhinestone for extra sparkle. It looks great, especially if you are a bit of a disco diva!
- The French manicure has a white tip with a pink base. In contrast, the American manicure comes with a white tip, except its base is light beige.
- While the American manicure uses creamier colors, the French manicure uses stark white colors.
- Unlike the French manicure style, the American manicure is believed to have a more natural look, which gives nails a pristine look.
- The French manicures mostly use Orly White or Alpine Snow. On the other hand, Swedish Nude and Kyoto Pearl are used for American manicures.
- For the American manicures, squarer nails are usually preferred, where somewhat rounded nails are preferred in French manicures.
The French Manicure is well-known with the influence spilling in India as well. It is a neat way to groom your nails that is a much loved for its prudish and healthy look.
The reason why this manicure is a craze among women is due to its feminine and elegant style. So what precisely is a French Manicure and what is the procedure?
The French Manicure is a style of shaping the nails and painting them with pink and white paint.
The nails are in fact shaped oval to soften the edges and are painted with a pale pink coat while the tips are painted with a thin coat of light white nail paint. We must take care that the white edge is not too thick, which slaughters the authentic look.
On the whole, the French manicure gives a super natural look suitable for all occasions, whether professionally or socially. Getting a French manicure at a salon is the best way to get the right look, however it is very possible to try it at home. Although it takes time, practice and patience to achieve the proper look, it is worth the effort if you want to save the money.
Here’s how you do the French Manicure at home:
The French manicure requirements:
- A mild pink nail paint
- A white shade
- French manicure kit (You can get it at your local beauty store)
- Nail polish remover
- Lukewarm water
The French manicure procedure:
- Soak a cotton ball in nail polish remover and remove the old paint if any.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and soak in lukewarm water for a few minutes.
- Using the nail filer or scissor, file your nails in a curved shape.
- Shape your nails evenly with nail clippers, beauty scissors or a nail file.
- Apply a one layer of protective clear base to prevent damage or chipping.
- Apply two layers of white paint just on the tips, preferably with a long stroke, instead of breaking it up.
- Once the white paint is completely dry, apply a one layer of the pink color over the entire nail for a natural finish. For a bolder look you can apply two layers.
- It is advisable to apply one more layer of clear polish for protection.
- That’s it! Your French manicure is done.
Let’s find out what’s an American Manicure?